Friday, April 22, 2011

Cheyenne Mountain Zoo!

 An awesome mom in Colby's preschool class organized a day at the Cheyenne Mountain Zoo. The day started off with a lesson and some snacks and other hands on activities with the zoo keepers. 
 Hayley and her boys tagged along and it was officially a party!
 What could be better than four boys??? 
(WAIT! Fast forward a year and in April of 2012 Hayley will have her third boy and I will be almost due with my third boy. So the answer to that question is...6 boys of course!!!)
 They took us behind the scenes to see the elephants. They are Colby's favorite animal and he loved getting so close. Poor Logan, I didn't know has a very real fear of elephants for they are repeatedly stomping in his nightmares. Needless to say this was not his favorite part of the day!
 I enjoyed being so close to them too...until they told us they were surrounded by an electric fence that would fry our children if they got near it. Whose idea was it to bring a bunch of preschoolers around a bunch of wild beasts caged in with a deadly electric fence? I don't know, turns out I didn't need to freak out... The size of the animals alone was enough to keep the kids at a safe distance.
 Back at our opening activity they had the kids put cheerios in an empty roll of toilet paper. They called these elephant cannellonis.  We pushed in the ends and the elephants were happy to have the treat, who would have thought...toilet paper rolls are edible?
 This view is unbelievable. I love living in Colorado...if only we had an ocean here too...
 Colby insisted on bringing his giant shark, Bruce, to the zoo with us. That boy loves sharks!
 Lazy lions...
 I love how the lions are looking directly at the camera. They are such amazing creatures!
 Feeding the giraffes. 
Hayley is such a fun mom, she has been here before and is a pro at this so I let her show me how to do. 
 Chasey and I got a huge kick out of it.  Those giraffes are hungry and have the nastiest tongues!
 Colby on the other hand was freaked out by the blue tongue. I can't really blame him. 
 Now that is a LONG tongue!
 Giraffe feeding was definitely the highlight of the trip!
 Giraffes are such beautiful creatures.
 ...and so expressive!
 Rub a dub dub three boys in a ...canoe!
 Just love the friendship that has developed between the Hatch boys and the Weber boys. 
The giraffes are still hungry, I would recommend this zoo to anyone! 
I am definitely getting a membership here for next year!

No comments: